REVIEW: Testing the Manfrotto PIXI EVO Mini Tripod in the Field


I recently bought a Manfrotto Professional MP-BP-50BB camera backpack from Calumet in Edinburgh to replace my Lowepro Pro Runner backpack that I have owned since 2011.  I have two more long haul trips to China and Bahrain and then I will be producing a full review of this new bag that offers me a number of significant advantages as a frequent flyer over the Lowepro.  

Manfrotto were running a promotion for a free PIXI EVO Mini Tripod during the month of September and so I duly sent off to claim it.

The package arrived while I was in Japan and I had the first opportunity to test it out in the Highlands of Scotland yesterday.  Now regular readers of this blog will know I rate my Manfrotto 190XPro4 tripod very highly and this goes everywhere with me on my landscape expeditions.  When traveling I also have a Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01 tripod which goes in my hold luggage and has been with me around the globe since 2012.  

While the 190X will go quite low to the ground I sometimes really want to put the camera very low down.  I can sometimes find a suitable surface to put the camera on but not always and the larger GorillaPod I have been using is not the best for the job, so the PIXI EVO looked to be the answer I was looking for.

The other plus point is the PIXI EVO folds up so it fits in the side pocket of the Manfrotto back pack and doesn't take up precious room inside the bag.  However this lightweight addition can support cameras up to 2.5KG (5.5LB) so it is no slouch when it comes to actually doing the job it was designed for, unlike some lightweight mini tripods I have tried.

The first test was shooting the waterfalls on the River Tummel north of Pitlochry.  I used the Fujifilm X-T2 with the battery pack fitted and the camera was rock solid on the ball and socket head that the PIXI EVO is fitted with.  The head also goes through 90 degrees so if I want to shoot in portrait mode I can.



Each of the three legs can be extended by press the button on each leg.  There are five settings for each leg and each position it locked by a ratchet system.  Each leg can be set individually to level the tripod on the most uneven of surfaces.

The angle of the legs can be altered by sliding the switch on the back of the ball and socket head and you can lower the leg position to get it really low to the ground.



The following video shows the X-T2 on the tripod with the legs extended.




And here is the finished image, which was a 4 minute (240 second) exposure.



The second test was with the Fujifilm X-Pro2 on the side of the River Tummel further upstream towards Kinnoch Rannoch. 



And here is the finished image, 1/3 second exposure


The Manfrotto PIXI EVO 2 Section Mini Tripod is a great addition to the gear I carry both in the UK and abroad.  It is sturdy yet lightweight and gives me the option to get down lower than I can with my regular tripods.  It also means I can travel light in the situations where lots of gear would be a hinderance and this is a perfect companion to my Fujifilm X100T.

Calumet currently have the PIXI EVO on sale for £44, which is good value for such a robust little tripod.

I can highly recommend the Manfrotto PIXI EVO.  For more information visit the Manfrotto website HERE


PIXI EVO Specs from the Manfrotto website page

Weight260 g 
Collection/SeriesPixi 
Safety Payload2.5 kg 
Min Height10.5 cm 
Max Height20 cm 
Closed Length20.5 cm 
ColourBlack 
Top Attachment1/4" screw 
MaterialAluminium, Technopolymer 
Leg Angles50°, 75° 
Ball LockingYes 
Easy LinkNo 
Friction ControlNo 
Front Tilt-35° / +35° 
Lateral Tilt-90° / +40° 
Leg TypeSingle 
Leg Lock TypeButton Lock 
Leg Sections
Maximum Working Temperature60 C 
Minimum Working Temperature-30 C 
Panoramic Rotation360 
Plate Typefixed - with 1/4" - retractable 3/8" screw


 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

Jeff Carter is an Official Fujifilm X Photographer and was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador in June 2015. In 2016 he worked with the company on the launches of the Fujifilm X-Pro2 in Tokyo and the Fujifilm X-T2 in Paris in July 2016.  You can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4