Fujifilm X-T10 + XF16mm f1.4 - First Impressions

Belhaven Bridge
Yesterday I received a parcel with a Fujifilm X-T10 and a Fujinon XF16mm f1.4 lens which I will be testing over the next three weeks.  After unboxing and setting up the various menus on the camera I decided to take it down to Belhaven Beach for a quick test run to see how the smaller brother to Fujifilm's flagship X-T1 compares.

Fujifilm X-T10 with XF16mm f1.4R WR
My first impression was how small the X-T10 is.  Noticeably smaller than the X-T1 (and X-Pro1, which seems like a giant camera next to the X-T10) and about the same size as, if not actually smaller than, the grand daddy of the X-Series line, the X100.  


Left to Right - Body Size Comparison X100, X-T1, X-T10, X-Pro1


Spot the size difference - X100 and the X-T10

I will go into more detail on the specs of the X-T10 on a later blog as this is just about my initial impressions having just received the camera from Fujifilm UK but the controls are in a familiar layout, with a few exceptions, to an X-T1 and I was able to get to grips with the X-T10 very quickly.  The headline specs - 16mp X-Trans II sensor, 8 fps, high resolution EVF and the latest AF software - all help to make me feel right at home from picking up the X-T10.

The XF16mm f1.4 is not a small lens and fitted to the diminutive X-T10 it can look a little out of balance, but the camera felt nicely weighted as I walked along the beach.  The maximum f1.4 aperture was a dream when used wide open but thank goodness for the X-T10s electronic shutter (the same as the X-T1) which gave me a fast 1/32000s shutter speed, which was essential in the bright sunlight, otherwise I would've had to stop down to reach the 1/4000s maximum provided by the mechanical shutter or risk overexposing the images.

The 24mm equivalent focal length is one I used to use when I first started in photography and a Sigma 24mm f2.8 was the first prime lens I ever bought, so I am very interested to see how this lens performs over the next three weeks.




My first impressions of the X-T10 are very positive.  I expected to like this camera but favour the X-T1 because of the extra size, weather sealing, the ability to fit a battery grip etc but as I walked around taking pictures the X-T10 just felt right in my hands.  It is small, some people have described the X-T10 as a toy, but it didn't feel too small even in my large hands.  This is a great travel camera and with the 18mm f2 lens fitted, the low profile of the X-T10 will allow you to blend into the background.

I will be putting the X-T10 through its paces in Austria next week and then at some events here in Scotland. I am certainly looking forward to using this camera over the coming weeks but here are some more sample images from the first test run with the X-T10 and XF16mm f1.4


Belhaven Bay

Horses on the beach

Horses in the sunshine at Belhaven Bay
The field of view on the 16mm is great for landscape images. 
At f1.4 the effect on the 16mm is very 3D
The X-T10 and 16mm f1.4 combination gives some great results
All images taken on the Fujifilm X-T10 and Fujinon XF16mm f1.4R WR


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4