Using the Manfrotto 241V and Fujifilm X-T1 on a Car Photo Shoot


Last Saturday I posted some test shots of the X-T1 and the Manfrotto 241V Suction Grip using my own Honda Civic as the test car (BLOG HERE) .  Over the past three days I have been on a road trip from Reading in Berkshire to Stuttgart in Germany for a feature I am writing on the Porsche 911 Turbo S.  Why Reading and Stuttgart?  Well Reading is the UK Headquarters for Porsche and Stuttgart is home for the German sports car manufacturer.

The reason I bought the Manfrotto 241V was to use on this long drive to get some different angles while I drove.  Using the Fujifilm X-T1 I was able to control the camera through the Camera App on my Google Nexus Tablet.

I placed the Manfrotto in several positions on the car, either on the glass or on the bodywork and the vacuum pump built into the 241V provided the grip needed to keep the camera in place and steady.  Speeds were kept to below 50mph but if the Manfrotto did lose grip the camera would've been on the road so I used the Peak Design leash and used it as a safety cord when the camera was mounted on the outside of the car.

Here are some of the images I took over the past few days using the 241V.  More images of the Porsche 911 Turbo S will be posted once the feature I am writing has been published.








Not a shot to be used but the shadow does show how the Manfrotto 241V is mounted on the car

The Porsche 911 Turbo S that I have had on test for the past 3 days.
The Porsche 911 Turbo S that I have had on test for the past 3 days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

  1. Great shots Jeff! So you've had no problems using the X-T1 for car shooting? I've been wondering about using one instead of a DSLR. You've had no problems with focusing speed?

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex. To be honest I have never considered the X-T1 to be slow focusing compared to a DSLR and I have used Nikon pro gear for the past 18 years. While in some situations like fast moving action it might not be as snappy as a Nikon D4, I have used the X-T1 trackside at Le Mans and during a rugby match. For my work I have never considered the XT1's AF second best. If the AF does struggle in low light I switch to manual focus, which with the split screen in the EVF, is a complete doddle to nail. But then I started with manual focus slrs so I am quite used to follow focusing. Jeff

      Delete
  2. Great pictures!. What lens did you use on these shots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, the lens was the Fujinon XF10-24mm f4R OIS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4